Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Caching in Jackson, TN - 12/20/2009

[I'm writing this blog entry several weeks after this hunt so my memories are a bit foggy. I'll flesh it out a bit more as I get time.]

I left early on Sunday. Not as early as I would like, but early enough. My goal was to hunt a bunch of caches just west of Jackson, then see what I could get to in town.

My first find of the morning was Welcome to Denmark, TN by dalls (GC1PDR2). This cache is actually behind the cemetery, but my autorouting took me to the entrance road to the cemetery.

[ A new cemetery cache in Tennessee? In 2009? ]

I found two of the three caches in this area before moving on eastward.

Upon my arrival in Jackson, I noticed the traffic was lighter than expected so I headed north instead of south as I had planned. I hunted a few caches along Hwy 45 West before ending the morning at Ole #382 by Bluff Boys (GC216FG). This was in Casey Jones Village not far from one of the first caches I hunted in Jackson nearly 4 years ago. After finding the cache I met hdrider55, a husband and wife caching team from Memphis that had been quietly watching me find it. I decided to have lunch at the country buffet nearby.

After a nice meal, I headed east, picking up a few caches on my way to Kate Campbell Memorial Park.

I made a quick detour to Large Oak Tree by dalls (GC1AK23) which was near the Old Salem Cemetery and found a cool guard rail cache.

[ Large Oak Tree ]

Kate Campbell Memorial Park has a lot of caches and on this day no muggles, so imagine my distress upon find next to nothing here.

I did find Tornado Alley by TurndAround (GC10ZCG) after almost giving up so that was some comfort.

I decided to leave and approach Otter Crossing by dalls (GC192AP) from the east side of the park. I parked at a golf course and found the boardwalk that takes you to within feet of the cache. The growth here was thick and I barely had room to climb in. Somehow, I slipped and busted open my forehead on a fallen tree. I looked around for the cache, but the bleeding was a major distraction. I ended up abandoning the hunt and heading back to the car to clean up.

[ Otter Crossing - its in there somewhere...]

After leaving the park, my luck improved and I found a few caches to the south before heading downtown.

I hunted a few caches downtown including General Grant Headquarters by Bluff Boys (GC1Z24V) and Jackson Pioneers Are Nearby by dalls (GC18BPD). I struck out on Mystery of a Legend by Bluff Boys (GC1YAPA) partly because of the line of homeless across the street from where the cache should have been.

[ Near a mural with information needed to find a cache.]

At the fairgrounds I made quick work of At The Fair by dalls (GC1C1B8). I struck out at a nearby cache and made a stop at the nearby train museum to hunt an earthcache nearby.


I took this picture at Jackson Artesian Well Earthcache by dalls (GC17RPJ). After looking at the picture on the camera, I noticed my wound had reopened. [I failed to get the rest of the information necessary to log this cache.] At this point, although I was hungry and daylight was fading, I headed out of town to the westbound rest stop on I-40. Once there, I cleaned up my forehead and hands, applied a nice big bandage and hit the road for home.

I had a high number of DNF's here (almost 25%). I'm not sure if it is because the hides were so good, I just couldn't find them, or if some of them were missing, or even some may have been inappropriate hides. Some of them hadn't been found since the georace, so I'll monitor them and when they start getting found, maybe I'll go back.

No comments: