Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Boot Hill (Ogallala, NE) - July 2006

I arrived in Ogallala just before sunset on July 3. There are many neat things about this small town - one of which is a small nature park near the motels. What I was really interested in visiting here was Boot Hill. Boot Hill is a famous western cemetary where cowboys were often buried with their boots on. The cemetary is located on a hill in a residential neighborhood. At the bottom of the hill you can read touristy things about the site.

At the top of the hill is a cache - Cache to Boot by Syriaca (GCPQC2)


To get to the cemetary you have to climb a long, fairly steep staircase. The cache is near an interesting statue near the center of the cemetary. It is not hard to find, the main goal is to get you to visit the cemetary. At the time of this blog entry the cache has been archived while some repairs are being made.

I arrived just after sunrise on July 4 and made the long climb up the stairs. I spent most of my visit taking pictures of the statue (a cowboy on a horse) and gravestones. While I was glad to find the cache, this was definitely an example of geocaching taking you to fascinating locations!

No comments: