Monday, May 14, 2007

Caching in Rawlins, WY - July 2006

On my summer trips across the country from Tennessee to Oregon and back, I love to stop and cache in small towns. Whenever possible I like to find a nice place to park and will spend a good part of a day walking around town hunting caches. It gives me a much better feel of the town then just driving between caches.

On July 3, 2006, I was heading east through Wyoming and had previously identified Rawlins as a place I wanted to visit.

One of the highlights of my visit to Rawlins was the Old State Penitentiary. Rubiconlwb has placed a number of caches around the prison and one can find half a dozen or more with very little walking. The day was perfect. Very sunny and warm with few muggles out and about.


I started my hunt with The Mural Tour by Rubiconlwb (GCM1MT). I don't normally hunt multis while travelling on long trips, but I enjoyed this one. It is located in downtown Rawlins and involves some walking, but not overly much.

I hunted a couple of other caches and headed for Frontier Prison by Rubiconlwb (GCNDGA) where I parked my car in the shade and hunted caches around the old prison. If I had wanted to stay a bit longer the prison gave tours.

The brochure even mentioned that you could sit in the old gas chamber. Sounds like fun! I picked up a couple of brochures and bought a cold drink and continued on the hunt.


I'm not sure how long I stayed in Rawlins. It was more than a couple of hours, though, and I was quite exhausted when I finished up. Maybe it was the temperature or the relatively high altitude that wore me out.

I found 11 caches on that stop and missed a few outlying ones because I was running late. I enjoyed every cache I found that day so I can't remember if I had a favorite. I see now that there are several new caches there so I may be stopping there again. Maybe next time I will sit in the gas chamber!

No comments: