Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Passing Through Amarillo, TX - June 2006

On my trips out west, I usually pass through Amarillo in the early-to-late afternoon of the first day of the trip. If I am geocaching, I pass through this area an hour or so before nightfall. Since I usually try to make it to New Mexico by the end of the first day, my only Texas stops are typically rest stops. This time I decided to grab a few caches as I passed through Amarillo.

Bug Ranch by Morty's Twisted World (GCDB98) - June 15, 2006


This cache is just off of exit 96 on I-40 just east of Amarillo. After I got gas at a nearby station, I headed over to this cache. The small area consists of of several old VW bugs stuck headfirst in the dirt in a row. A sign nearby invites you to "Sign a Bug". One of the bugs has the cache hidden inside, but which one? My eTrex Legend wasn't very helpful although it narrowed the search a little bit. There were lots of empty spray cans around that people used to sign the bugs. If I had researched this cache better before leaving home, I might have had something decent to write my name on the bug. Oh well, my pen did the job.


Cadillac Ranch by thehairyhillbilly (GCG71X) - June 15, 2006


Shortly after passing through Amarillo, I got off at exit 60 and doubled back along a service road to visit the Cadillac Ranch. This was truly a sight to behold. In the middle of a barren field there was a row of ten old Cadillacs stuck headfirst in the dirt. They were decorated with all colors of spray paint. This was a virtual cache, that I found the information for fairly quickly. I took lots of pictures here and I wasn't alone. Lots of people streamed in an out to see the cars.

After leaving here, I drove on to Vega, TX where I found four more caches and an excellent motel near a Dairy Queen where I spent the night.

No comments: