Monday, May 21, 2007

Rattlesnakes? (just west of Ogallala, NE) - July 2006

It was getting late in the day and I had just a little more time to cache before needing to find a motel for the night.

I-80 Paperback Book Library by Team StarBrand (GCK0YE)

This was described as an ammo can near a rest stop. I enjoy rest stop caches because I can kill tow birds with one stone - if you catch my drift! Anyways I was looking forward to a full-sized cache! to the west of the rest stop there is a paved walkway that winds up a small rocky hill. As I approached the beginning of the walkway I saw the sign: Caution: Rattlesnakes are native to this area.


I was a little nervous, but it was a nice paved walkway leading up to an observation point in the distance. About the time I got halfway up the hill I noticed my arrow was leading me a good distance off the trail and up a rocky incline. I picked up a handfull of small rocks and tossed some around as I walked at any area I was suspicious of. The cache was in a well-isolated area covered with rocks - a nice place for a snake!

The cache had some paperback books which I left alone since I had nothing to trade. I admired the view from the hill after signing the log and carefully made my way down the hill, happy to get back on the paved walkway. I walked over to the observation point and read the history of the area before getting back on the road.

1 comment:

Titansfan said...

There is a swamp area behind the armory in Dresden and could receive permission to place a cache. However, one of the largest Cotton-mouths snakes, over 7 feet long was killed in that swamp. Re-thought the idea of placing a cache there.