Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Caching in North Platte, NE - July 2006

I arrived in North Platte, NE early in the morning of July 4, 2006 while heading east along I-80. My goal was to hunt the caches in Centennial Park which is not far off of the interstate. Most of the caches in this park were placed by Big Dawgg & Cardinal Girl. It was a beautiful day for caching - sunny and warm.

Centennial Park is well-maintained with a recreation center and a skateboard park. A concrete walking path separates the recreational area (where the muggles play) in the north from the nature area to the south. Most of the caches are in the nature area to the south of the paved path.

I parked my car in a parking lot on the west end of the main part of the park and headed a short distance south where the first cache of the stop was - Rec & Roll by Big Dawgg & Cardinal Girl (GCN3D2). This one was hidden in a familiar type of tree.



I proceeded west along mostly sandy bike trails hunting various caches until I got to The End Of The Line by Big Dawgg & Cardinal Girl (GCVBMF). The terrain was interesting. There were plenty of trees, but not enough to interfere with my GPS reception. There was also quite a bit of cacti around - I'm not sure if it is native to the area or was planted here. It was very quiet that morning, even with the interstate being to the south about a 1/2 of a mile.

The last find of my stop here was SalkerWoccer by Notlostnomo (GCP8Y1). By the time I finished signing the log, I heard muggles walking on the nearby concrete path.


I found 9 caches during my stop in North Platte. I had skipped a multi near the parking area and there are two new caches that weren't there in July. The total distance I walked that morning was a little over 2 miles. The majority of the caches I found were micros/small containers that blended in pretty well in their locations. They weren't terribly difficult to find which allowed me to focus more on admiring the surroundings. I don't know when I will return to the immediate area, but Nebraska is rich with caches and I plan to hit more towns along I-80 in 2007.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like a nice trip. Have you decided when are you going again?

Mackheath said...

Sometime this summer.